With the winter slowly creeping up on us, the weather can be pretty unpredictable at any given moment. It is a good idea to take the initiative of preparing before hand and that is why The Inspection Boys are here to give you tricks and tips on how you can prepare for the weird, unpredictable and wacky winter storms coming. Some ways you can best prepare yourself, your family, and your home are as follows:
- Caulk around drafty windows, doors, and any other points of entry.
- Keep up with the yard work. This will make it an easier pickup during the spring months.
- Check and clean your gutters and downspouts weekly and remove any leaves and debris that might cause a clog.
- Make sure that your outside faucet and hose is disconnected and store properly.
- If you have a sprinkler system, make sure you get the system checked, and drained.
- Make sure your heating source is properly cleaned, and maintained.
- Have all of the necessary winter equipment you and your family need. Prepare an “emergency kit” with essentials like; water, a change of clothing, batteries, non-perishable items, flashlight, blanket, first-aid kit, and anything else you find necessary. (This is also good to keep and store in your vehicle. It is always better to be over-prepared than under-prepared or not even prepared at all).
- Make sure your snow removal equipment is functioning properly and replace/have inspected if needed.
- If you haven’t done so already, make sure your A/C unit is winterized. And lastly;
- Check your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors and make sure they are working properly. Replace them if needed.
Being prepared for any given situation will only benefit you, your home, and your family. Weather conditions can be unpredictable but having a game plan and the proper equipment will make your life easier.